Data360 Govern (“Govern”) provides the Bulk Loader functionality when users want to add large volumes of data into their Govern environment. Data is added to a generated template, then uploaded into Govern. Bulk loading can make adding a lot of data easy and quick. To ensure the bulk loading process is smooth, below are some helpful tips to know:
Getting the Bulk Loader Template
- Always download the latest template to ensure the template incorporates the most recent configuration.
- Download the template from the environment that is intended for bulk loading. Do not cross environments. For example, do not download the template from Dev environment and use the template to load into Prod environment.
Populating the Bulk Loader Template
- Required fields have a bold header on the template. Required fields must be completed.
- Use ‘Paste Values’ to avoid copying formatting when copying data from another source (excel, word, pdf, etc.) to the template.
- List fields will appear as a dropdown in the template, choose values from the drop down to avoid errors.
- The dropdown options only appear for the first 5 rows. Therefore, drag the dropdown options to all the rows that require this information to be completed.
- When using the bulk loader to make mass updates to assets review any blank fields. If a field on the template is blank, then the bulk loader will “update” that field with blank information. Therefore, it is critical that no blanks exist in the template when doing mass updates unless that is the intended purpose.
- For relationships, Asset UID’s can be found on the wiki page of the asset or, if many asset UIDs are required then,
- Download the assets from the asset grid
- Once downloaded, the information is located in the Asset UID column
- Ensure there are no filters on a column before using the bulk upload
- Close the template before uploading the template into Govern
- It is the responsibility of the user to ensure only valid values are entered into fields. The bulk loader does not perform data validation. Entering an invalid value will result in the data not getting added or updated after the bulk load.